New UK Visa Announcement
As part of post-Brexit trade agreements between Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom, changes to the reciprocal working holiday schemes have expanded opportunities for young Aussies, Kiwis and Brits wanting to work abroad.
Changes to the UK Youth Mobility Scheme for Kiwis, negotiated as part of the NZ UK Free Trade Agreement in 2022 came into effect on 1 July 2023.
Following this, the same changes were announced in April 2023 for Aussies looking to make the move, coming into effect on the 31st of January 2024.
This is good news for young Aussies and Kiwis, wanting to swap the great outdoors of Australia and New Zealand for the bright lights of London.
Changes to the UK Youth Mobility Visa
For Aussies and Kiwis planning on taking advantage of the UK Youth Mobility Visa changes, the most significant upgrades are:
- Increase in age of eligibility from 30 to 35 years
- Visa duration extended by one year, making it a three-year visa
The new conditions of the scheme also apply to young Brits heading to New Zealand under the United Kingdom Working Holiday Visa. The age eligibility for Brits increased from 30 to 35 years, with working rights also increasing to three years.
Extensions for Current UK Youth Mobility Visa Holders
People who are already on the YMS visa will be eligible for visa extensions whilst residing in the UK.
Unfortunately, this is only applicable to those currently in the UK on the visa, ruling out anyone who has returned home and wishes to use their ‘third year’.
For further information, check the following related articles:
- Stuff | Big Boost for OEs in UK with visa scheme changes set to benefit young Kiwis
- 1News | Young Kiwis OE opportunities expanded in UK NZ visa upgrade
- Fragomen | Expansion of Youth Mobility Scheme for New Zealanders
- Immigration New Zealand | Upgrade to NZ/UK Youth Mobility Scheme
- Beehive | UK NZ Working Holiday Scheme upgraded
- Global | Moving to the UK: Checklist
27 July 2023